On Tuesday, November 22, five players plying their trade outside the continent were named as the finalists for the award. Five other players plying their trade on the continent were also short-listed for the African Player of the Year based in Africa.
Ayew came close to winning the gong last year after being named together with Ivorian Yaya Toure and eventual winner Gabonese Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang as the finalists.
The Borussia Dortmund’s goal poacher is, however, the only one still in contention this year. But he will be challenged by Algeria’s Riyad Mahrez and Islam Slimani – both of Leicester City – Senegal’s Sadio Mane and Egypt’s Mohamed Salah.
As regards the continent-based players, the five are Khama Billiat (Mamelodi Sundowns & Zimbabwe), Keegan Dolly (Mamelodi Sundowns & South Africa), Rainford Kalaba (TP Mazembe & Zambia), Hlompho Kekana (Mamelodi Sundowns & South Africa) and Dennis Onyango (Mamelodi Sundowns & Uganda).
Latest from Admin
- AYARIGA READY WITH THE TRUTH
- Petroleum prices go up in Akufo-Addo’s fuel price reduction regime
- Security Operatives locked up for exposing video of tyranny at Flagstaff House
- Education Minister’s order triggers mass police transfers
- Ablakwa writes to bribery allegation committee: INVITE ME OR I’LL SUE